I am a consultant physician and gastroenterologist, working at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, specialising in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), colorectal cancer, and colonoscopy; nutrition and the irritable bowel syndrome; and indigestion. I have full accreditation in general medicine, gastroenterology, hepatology and endoscopy. I have been the lead clinician of the gastroenterology department at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital between 2007 and 2016; and previously a consultant at the Royal Free Hospital, London.
I have published widely on inflammatory bowel disease. I have been an editorial board member of the journal Inflammatory Bowel Disease; chairman of the new consultants’ committee and a council member at the Royal College of Physicians from 2009 to 2011; an elected member of the European Crohn’s and Colitis Organisation (ECCO) guidelines committee between 2013 and 2016 and its chairman during 2015-16.
I have written a 1st edition gastroenterology textbook, entitled Emergencies in Gastroenterology and Hepatology, published by Oxford University Press in August 2013.
I am probably most proud of having created ECCO’s e-Guide, an on-line algorithmic resource that has provided IBD education to more than 20,000 healthcare professionals across the world. Currently I am principle investigator for the UK IBD twin registry and biobank.
I founded Kito Health in 2020, a non-profit organisation pioneering a technological approach to saving children’s lives. We will launch our product in Kenya in 2022, and thereafter extend our work to other developing nations.
- British Society of Gastroenterology
- Royal College of Physicians
- European Crohn’s & Colitis Organisation
- Independent Doctors Federation
- Chelsea Clinical Society
Positions of Responsibility
- Lead, Chelsea and Westminster IBD clinic, 2006-2019
- Member of Editorial Board, Inflammatory Bowel Disease 2006-2017
- Clinical Lead, Gastroenterology, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital 2007-2016
- Secretary, Medical Staff Committee, Chelsea & Westminster Hospital 2007-2016
- Examiner, Medical Finals, Chelsea & Westminster Hospital 2007-2017
- Member, RCP Specialty Certificate Examinations in Gastroenterology 2007-2009
- Gastroenterology Guideline Development Group, NICE 2007-2011
- Representative, New Consultants Committee, Royal College of Physicians 2008-2011
- Nominations Committee, Royal College of Physicians 2008-2011
- Chairman, New Consultants Committee, Royal College of Physicians 2009-11
- Council, Chelsea Clinical Society 2010-2013
- RCP representative, Royal College of Radiologists Working Party on ultrasound 2011-12
- Examiner, PACES, Royal College of Physicians 2012-2017
- Member, ECCO guidelines committee (GuiCOM) 2013-2015
- Chairman, ECCO GuiCOM 2015-2016
- Member, charity committee, The Goldsmiths Livery Company, 2016-present
- Founder, Kitohealth.org, 2020
BSc, MB BS, PhD, FRCP
Full registration (3686876)
Walking, Portugal, my family and children
English, partial French, partial Portuguese