I am a consultant physician and gastroenterologist, working at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, specialising in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), colorectal cancer, and colonoscopy; nutrition and the irritable bowel syndrome; and indigestion. I have full accreditation in general medicine, gastroenterology, hepatology and endoscopy. I have been the lead clinician of the gastroenterology department at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital between 2007 and 2016; and previously a consultant at the Royal Free Hospital, London.
I attended Eton College from 1981 to 1985, then studied medicine at St. Mary’s Hospital, London between 1986 and 1992. I received further training at UCL, Royal Free Hospital and St. Mark’s Hospital, during which time I passed my USA medical exams, becoming an accredited UK gastroenterology specialist in 2002, when I was awarded a PhD degree for my research into acute inflammation in Crohn’s disease.
I have published widely on inflammatory bowel disease. I have been an editorial board member of the journal Inflammatory Bowel Disease; chairman of the new consultants’ committee and a council member at the Royal College of Physicians from 2009 to 2011; an elected member of the European Crohn’s and Colitis Organisation (ECCO) guidelines committee between 2013 and 2016 and its chairman during 2015-16.
I have written a 1st edition gastroenterology textbook, entitled Emergencies in Gastroenterology and Hepatology, published by Oxford University Press in August 2013.
I am probably most proud of having created ECCO’s e-Guide, an on-line algorithmic resource that has provided IBD education to more than 20,000 healthcare professionals across the world. Currently I am principle investigator for the UK IBD twin registry and biobank, and in charge of ECCO’s e-Guide.
I practice an evidence-based yet holistic approach. My homes are in London and Lisbon. As of 2019 I am leading a MedTech project to provide medical information to the poorest peoples in the world.
- British Society of Gastroenterology
- Royal College of Physicians
- European Crohn’s & Colitis Organisation
- Independent Doctors Federation
- Chelsea Clinical Society
Positions of Responsibility
- Lead, Chelsea and Westminster IBD clinic, 2006-2019
- Member of Editorial Board, Inflammatory Bowel Disease 2006-2017
- Clinical Lead, Gastroenterology, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital 2007-2016
- Secretary, Medical Staff Committee, Chelsea & Westminster Hospital 2007-2016
- Examiner, Medical Finals, Chelsea & Westminster Hospital 2007-2017
- Member, RCP Specialty Certificate Examinations in Gastroenterology 2007-2009
- Gastroenterology Guideline Development Group, NICE 2007-2011
- Representative, New Consultants Committee, Royal College of Physicians 2008-2011
- Nominations Committee, Royal College of Physicians 2008-2011
- Chairman, New Consultants Committee, Royal College of Physicians 2009-11
- Council, Chelsea Clinical Society 2010-2013
- RCP representative, Royal College of Radiologists Working Party on ultrasound 2011-12
- Examiner, PACES, Royal College of Physicians 2012-2017
- Member, ECCO guidelines committee (GuiCOM) 2013-2015
- Chairman, ECCO GuiCOM 2015-2016
- Member, charity committee, The Goldsmiths Livery Company, 2016-present
- Founder, WikiMed.org, 2019
BSc, MB BS, PhD, FRCP
Full registration (3686876; date of revalidation 7.4.14)
General Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology (December 2002)
Walking, Portugal, my family and children
English, partial French, partial Portuguese